MINNEAPOLIS (April 2, 2010) – United Properties announced that the U.S. Green Building Council awarded Southpoint Office Center in Bloomington, Minn., its LEED Silver Level certification for Existing Buildings: Operations & Maintenance. In addition to its recent LEED Silver certification, the United Properties’ owned 14-story, Class A office building recently secured a new lease with the Federal Milk Market Administration and a lease expansion with United Bankers’ Bank, bringing the building to 92 percent leased.
Key factors contributing to the LEED Silver certification for the 366,807-sq.-ft. building include:
- Reducing potable water usage by 15 percent, saving approximately 1.3 million gallons a year
- Increasing recycling rates to more than 50 percent
- Recycling or reusing more than 48 tons of construction waste during 2009
- Implementing both a green education program and employee wellness program
- Earning an Energy Star rating of 90, which represents energy efficiency at the 90th percentile
- Ensuring that more than 90 percent of the janitorial products and materials used adhere to the most rigorous green cleaning standards
About United Properties
United Properties, based in Minneapolis, Minn., specializes in commercial real estate development and investment.
Since 1975, United Properties has provided development services for the retail, residential, office, medical and industrial sectors. In addition to a large presence in the Minneapolis-St. Paul market, United Properties’ Colorado division develops retail, office and flex office properties. Formed in 1916, the United Properties investments group acquires, manages, finances and disposes of the company’s real estate investments, which includes nearly 60 office, medical, industrial and retail assets in Minnesota, Wisconsin and Colorado. For more information, visit www.uproperties.com.
Vice President, Marketing Communications
Sr. Communications Consultant